This update is coming from the Acela en route to NYC. It’s been ages since I last posted a meaningful update to the blog, and trips like this are primarily to blame. I targeted this update a few weeks back, but it’s not until today that I can make an entry.
The orders from Etsy still come in. And when I’m lucky they come in at the same time, so I can be as efficient as possible with shop time. In this case, I had two orders for 3 bulb lamps. I thought that the build was going great. I was so proud of my progress that I took the first photo below to show the nice looking grooves for the top panel in each piece. From there I worked to get each lamp glued up. What I didn’t mention, until now, is the process of cutting the dovetails. It appears that I grabbed the wrong piece for my jig. I’m guessing I grabbed a 9 degree instead of an 11 degree piece. The result is that I have 2 lamp boxes that can’t be used.
So it was off to round 2 of the build. Trust me that I was considerably more careful this time around. Everything turned out as planned and I had 2 unfinished lamps; one in cherry and one in walnut.
In the spirit of doing everything a second time, I also decided to revisit the first lamp I ever built. It was minor, but I must have been too aggressive with my sanding of the top front edge of the lamp. The result was a little “dip” on the top. Well that lamp was back in the shop to correct that mistake. While I was tackling that issue, I decided it was time to upgrade the lamp to a full dimmer switch and some higher quality light sockets. In the second picture below, the original prototype lamp is sitting on top of the new unfinished lamps.
So doubling down on Edison lamps… lots of multiples this time (2 lamps, built them twice due to my error, and bringing the original prototype into the shop for a tune up). Ultimately, the 2 unfinished lamps will be off to NYC and Canada; the improved prototype should be destined for Etsy.